Watershed Essentials delivers basic insights for L&D practitioners who want to start tracking and exploring learning outside an LMS. The platform not only allows multiple options for getting data in and showing progress, but also serves as a foundation for organizations to build toward more robust learning analytics in the future.
Essentials provides a group of already-configured reports that answer common questions about learners and their activities. Users can connect data sources and reports will automatically populate with data. Users can filter reports by data source or by time, search for individual people or activities, and click on any number drill down into the data.
There are 2 main sections to this article:
Getting Started with Essentials
Before you can use Essentials, you'll need to set up an account and connect data sources.
To set up an account, contact our sales team to get assistance.
To connect data sources once you have an account, go to the Certified Data Sources page in the Data section. Follow the steps on any of those pages, or use one of these guides:
- Tracking a Twitter Conversation with Watershed Essentials
- Connect xAPI Apps to Watershed Essentials
- Importing Example CSV into Watershed Essentials
- Connect Example E-Learning Course Course to Watershed Essentials
The Essentials dashboard features 6 reports: Activities, People, Actions, Interactions, Interactions by data source, and Data sources.
Filter each of the reports using the filters at the top left corner of the dashboard:
- The All data sources menu filters all 6 reports based on individual data sources.
- The Last 30 days menu allows you to control data shown on all 6 reports based on different timeframes.
Clicking any blue highlighted name or number on the dashboard will reveal a popup that allows you dig into your data further. Even numbers and names on the popups allow you to dig into data even further.
Clicking More on any of the reports brings up the full report.
The search bar at the top right corner of the dashboard allows you to search for individual activities, people, or actions. A popup will appear with more information about any item you find.
The Essentials Reports
- The Activities Report shows what activities are being sent to Watershed and the number of interactions your learners have had with each.
- The People Report shows all of the people that are being sent to your Watershed account and the number of interactions they've had with your learning content.
- The Actions Report shows what actions (combination of verb and activity) are being interacted with the most in your account.
- The Interactions by Data Source Report shows which data sources are sending the most interactions to your Watershed account.
- The Data Sources Report shows similar information, but represented as a pie chart.
- The Interactions Report is a raw stream of interactions from all of your data sources.
Viewing Raw xAPI Data
Note: Only users at the Analyst pricing tier or higher have access to the raw xAPI data.
After you've connected a data source, you can also see raw xAPI data.
On the Data page, go to the Debug menu. This is a stream of xAPI statements displayed in the order that Watershed received them (the most recent statements are first). Click the arrow next to the statement name to view the full xAPI statement.