There are multiple ways to export or download your data from Watershed. You can:
- Use the report-sharing feature to email fully interactive reports directly from Watershed or create shareable links, which you can send yourself.
- Use the Aggregation API to pull filtered, aggregated learning data into the systems that learners use, or the Statement API to pull unprocessed xAPI statements.
- Embed complete Watershed reports into your learning platform.
- Download CSVs from individual reports.
All Watershed report reports can be shared via links so others can view reports outside of Watershed. You have the option to either email the link to recipients directly from Watershed, or you can create a shareable link and deliver it yourself. Furthermore, shared reports can be configured to either always show the most up-to-date data or show snapshots of historical data.
Card sharing is most useful when you want to share the same view with multiple people (e.g., create a bar chart ranking learners to stir competition, or share a leaderboard of the most popular content to inspire other learners to check out the recommended favorites). The report sharing feature is easy to set up and doesn’t require integration with other systems.
Related: Learn how to Share Reports.
Pulling Data via the Aggregation API
Watershed collects activity data in the form of xAPI interaction statements, aggregates that data into tabular structures, and then creates visualizations of that data. Because tabular data is designed for reporting, it’s much easier to work with than xAPI statements—which are optimized for collecting and sharing data, not processing it.
Your applications can access both the raw xAPI statements and the aggregated tabular data via Watershed’s Aggregation and Statement APIs. While statement data can be used for activity streams, aggregated data typically is most useful for reporting and displaying indicators to your learners.
Watershed’s Aggregation and Statement APIs are most useful for:
- integrating Watershed insights into your learning platform (e.g., creating a progress indicator on a course page)
- enabling your learning platform to make intelligent decisions based on data (e.g., unlocking new content based on learner performance data in Watershed)
Related: Learn more about the Aggregation API.
You can embed Watershed report reports directly into other applications, saving you from having to rebuild or recreate those same reports outside of Watershed. These embedded reports can appear in LMSs or CRMs like Salesforce, and users do not have to be logged into Watershed to see the interactive reports.
Related: Learn how to Embed Reports.
Downloading Data from Reports
You can download CSV data from reports in one of two ways: download the data as it's presented in the reports (Download Data Tables) or download the raw xAPI statements that make up the report (Download the Interaction Statements associated with a Report). For most reports, the data table download can be found at the top right corner of the detail view of the report while the interaction statement download is at the bottom of the report. Since Interactions Reports can get very long, we've added a Download Statements button to the top right corner of the report.
Related: Learn how to Download Data from Reports.