The Pie card is a visualization generated from Explore that shows how smaller parts represent proportions of a whole. Use it to track compliance, use it to show what's most popular on your Learning Experience Platform, or use it to see how people answer a question on an assessment.
This article consists of 3 main sections:
Setting up a New Pie Card
Please note: For some accounts, you’ll need to be logged into Watershed as an admin to set up a new Pie Card.
- Click Explore in the main navigation and choose Pie from the card-type carousel:
- You’ll use Explore to customize the card and then click Save As New Card to create a new card with the options you’ve chosen:
Reconfiguring a Pie Card
Please note: only Admins can reconfigure cards on a dashboard.
- If you want to reconfigure an existing Pie Card, click in the bottom right of the card on the Dashboard then choose Configure.
- You can also click Configure on the top right of the card’s detail page:
- You’ll use Explore to reconfigure the card and then click Save changes to this card to update the existing card with the options you’ve chosen. Click Save as a New Card to create a new card with the things you've changed and the original will not be changed:
Using Explore to Customize Pie Cards
When using Explore to customize Pie Cards, you’ll see 5 options:
Click on any of the option names to look at the settings for that option:
After clicking Activities, you'll be able to choose which activities you want to include in your Leaderboard Card. You can choose as many different activities as you’d like, and the Leaderboard will display all statements related to the chosen activities. If you don’t select any activities, the Leaderboard Card will include all activities in your account that you have permission to see.
To select an activity, use the search bar to find an activity or click the Pick From a List button to choose an activity.
Please note: You’ll only see activities that are already in your account that you have permission to see.
If you want to deselect an activity you’ve already chosen, click the X button next to the activity’s name.
After clicking People, choose which people to include in your Leaderboard Card. You’ll be able to select multiple people and parts of your organization, and those people will be included in the Leaderboard. If you don’t choose anyone, this card will include everyone that you have permission to see.
To select people, use the search bar to find specific people or group names. You can also click the pick from a list button to choose specific people or groups.
Please note: You’ll only be able to choose from people that you have permission to access.
If you want to deselect a person or group you’ve already chosen, click the X button next to the person or group’s name.
After clicking Verbs, chose which verbs to include in your Activity Card. You will be able to select multiple verbs, and those will be included in your Activity Card. Click on the dropdown to select Trailing or Custom.
To select verbs, use the search bar to find specific verbs. You can also click the pick from a list button to choose specific verbs you would like to include.
After clicking Dates, you can select a time range for your card to analyze. Click on the dropdown to select Trailing or Custom.
- Use Trailing to select the previous X days/weeks/months/years from today. While the range stays the same, the dates change to keep up with the current date.
- Use the Custom option to choose a specific date range.
If you don’t select any dates, the card will analyze all data in the account that you have permission to see.
From the Card Text menu, customize the text on the card:
- The Title is at the top of the card on both the Dashboard and the card’s detail page.
- The Summary appears at the footer of the card on the Dashboard.
- The Description appears at the top of the card’s detail page under the header.
In the Pie section, you’ll choose how you determined what the pieces in your pie card are and how big they are.
For a simple Pie card, only choose one Measure using the Measures menu. Use the Organized menu to select how you want your pieces aggregated. For instance if you choose Activity Count as the Measure and choose to organize by Person in the Organized menu, the slices of your pie will be people and the size of the piece of pie will depend on the amount of activity associated with that person.
For a more advanced Pie card, choose more than one Measure using the Measures menu. The pieces of the pie will be each measure you choose. The size of the piece will be determined by the average values of each measure on the leaderboard below the pie card. Use the Organized menu to determine how data is aggregated on the leaderboard. For instance if you choose the measures Activity Count and Interaction Count and choose to organize by person, the pie pieces would be Activity Count and Interaction Count and their size would be determined by the average of each person's Activity Count and each persons Interaction Count.
Advanced Configuration can be used to create additional measures and more precise ways of organizing your data. If you have an idea for a Pie card that can't be created using the default options, let us know and we can help you use Advanced Configuration to set up a Pie Card.